If you’ve ever met our co-founder Jen, one of the first things you learn about her is that she has “interesting” tastes. She’s the first to admit that she eats like a child and that she has all kinds of rules about food.
Today, we’re peeling back the layers of Jen’s rules and introducing you to a new segment we’re calling Cooking with Jen.
In our first episode, you’re treated to what she calls “Special Spaghetti”. This dish was first introduced to her by her mother who made with canned tomatoes. Jen hated the actual tomato chucks, so, when she was old enough, she made her own version with tomato juice.
Watch the video for the full recipe and commentary.
- 1 can of tomato juice
- 1 package of American Beauty large shells
- 1 Special Spaghetti bowl – microwave safe
- Salt & pepper
- Bring water to a boil in whatever sized pot you have around.
- While waiting for water to boil, pour juice into bowl. Add a “juit”* of water.
- Place bowl in microwave.
- Once water is boiling, dump however many noodles you think you’ll eat into water.
- Quickly press the “+30 seconds” button on your microwave 7 times.
- Locate your colander.
- When the microwave finishes, ignore it and drain the noodles in the colander, pouring cold water over them so they do not continue to cook.
- Remove juice from microwave and cool it down with 2 ice cubes. You may use 3 if you have more juice.
- Once ice has melted, combine noodles and juice. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Continue salting each layer as you eat.
*juit is French for “an amount equal to sloshing a bowl once under a running faucet”